Friday, January 20, 2006

Issues

My latest issue is that my sisters car broke down. I am now her ride to and from work at 2pm and 11pm respectively until I fix her car. It is, of course, my personal responsibility to fix the car of every single family member I have within a 60 mile radius, you see. Furthermore, I am also responsible for their transportation during the period of time it takes me to finish the job. As well, I am liable for any complication of the situation due to the timeframe involved with the repair of said vehicle. Keeping in mind of course the conditions in which I have to make the repairs are, of course, irrelevant. Dirt drive ways, rain, snow, and temperatures are to have no bearing whatsoever on the length or quality of the job. Nor does the difficulty or complexity. I am the omniscient, omnipotent magical fixer of all things automotive with the wave of my wand... Apparently.
My sisters car, you see needs a fuel pump which is located in the fuel tank. Removing and replacing a fuel tank on a 1990 Chevrolet Caprice (ex police car) can be challenging in a garage on a lift. This is a Michigan car and as such rust is a very big factor. The bolts holding the tank straps will no doubt be rusted and seized in place. Also the straps them self will most likely be rusted to the point that removal will cause sufficient damage to ruin them and therefore will have to be replaced, which falls under my liability for not being able to reuse them and therefore cost more for the repair. Once the tank is drained, released, and lowered, the fun doesn't end. The tabs on the fuel pump/fuel sender unit will no doubt be rusted as well and may or may not hold up to the brass drift pounding required to twist and unlock the unit from the tank. This is a tedious procedure in itself. The installation of the pump and the reinstallation of the unit into the tank and the tank into the car should be straight forward, however keep in mind that I have to do it on the ground in the dirt, or snow, outside in the late January Michigan weather.
So now I can not retain gainful employment until I finish the repair of my sisters vehicle.

I wouldn't mind working on family vehicles if it weren't expected, or rather demanded.
I am usually more than happy to help anyone with their vehicle concerns, but on my terms. Is that an unusual expectation? Does this make me selfish or uncaring? I don't feel so.

3 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet it's times like this that make you wish you had followed your dream of becoming a male ballerina.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Arnold said...

This used to be my issue except that it was computer repair that everyone expected me to be able to do for anyone in the family. Is this the curse of "To whom much is given, much is expected"? Or is it just bad manners.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Musings of a Demented Mind said...

Which indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home